Peadiatric First Aid group
Paediatric First Aid (PFA) 2 days
The course is designed to equip learners with the skills, knowledge and confidence to help a person in a life threatening situation. This course is used by nurseries, preschool and child minders to meet OFSTED’s requirements.
The topics covered include:
- Aims of first aid
- Roles of a first aider
- Primary and Secondary survey
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), Automated External Defibrillator
- Dealing with an unconscious casualty
- Shock, Wounds & Bleeding
- Burns & Scalds
- Seizures & febrile convulsions
- Medical conditions, including asthma, hyperventilation, croup, anaphylaxis, meningitis and sickle cell
- Fractures, sprains, strains and dislocations
- Effects of heat and cold conditions
- First aid kits, accident reporting, dealing with waste, infection control
With years of experience dealing with real life emergencies, our expert trainers draw on their own personal first aid experiences to make learning fun and memorable. This ensures that learners leave with the confidence and vital lifesaving skills needed to deal with the wide range of emergency situations.
Assessment and Certification
The course consists of 12 hours contact time. Learners are required to complete both a multi-choice assessment and practical assessments. Successful candidates will receive a Paediatric First Aid (PFA) certificate. This is valid for a period of 3 years and can be renewed by attending a 2 day paediatric first aid course.
All learners must be at least 17 years old and possess reasonable numeracy and literacy skills. Have an interest in first aid and willing to learn some lifesaving skills.
Learners are to attend a course every 3 years to keep their skills refreshed and up date. It is advised in line with the resuscitation council that all learners refresh their skills in Basic life support and Automated external defibrillator.
Staff willing to learn new skills to work with at work or for the private event setting and high risk areas. Learners can progress to complete a 3 day first aid at work (FAW). Please see our website for more information.